Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Why the NBA is a Joke

Before reading, please watch the following clip first:

*Disclaimer. I am in no way a fan of the NBA
The other day, while I was getting my daily dose of ESPN's Sports Center, I watched a segment on photobombs in the NBA. After watching the segment, I lost almost all of the respect I had for the league, which was very little to begin with. The NBA is a joke. It is a league where players do whatever they want and make a joke about it by doing things like photobombs. I have a couple reasons as to how come I feel this way.
Players rule the league, practically hand picking where they play
The league has become about the best free agents. Players switch teams almost yearly and the best all team up and play for one team. It has become the norm that in order to win, a team has to have a "big three". Teams can no longer build through the draft because it takes proven stars to win in the NBA. It has become about the players and their careers rather than the teams and the history.
Players complain and moan about everything and act unprofessional about it
This stems from the photobombs. Those are professional interviews that the players are breaking up. It disrespects the league, media personnel, and networks in which interviews air. These players have become unprofessional. They complain on the court about every foul and flop like they are actors. And now the referees have to buy into this because they can't disrespect the players. It has become a mess
Dunks now rule the league
I am a fan of super dunks just as much as the next guy, but there is a point where it becomes boring. Players dunk so much that they have wikipedia pages on the different types and websites dedicated to the best of the best. To me, the jump shot has become pretty much useless. If players are given a lane and can take five steps before lift-off, why go for the jump shot?

I have never really been a fan of the game. I will always know about the best players, the Boston Celtics, and how "King Lebron" rules ESPN, but I will never become a fan of the NBA. I can't stand the players, their attitudes, and how the league has become a show rather than a sport. And that is just what the NBA is, a show.

No comments:

Post a Comment