Thursday, June 19, 2014

Breakdown of the "Redskins" case

     Recently, the most aggressive attack against the Washington Redskins happened. The U.S. Patent Office cancelled their patent on the Redskins brand on the basis of its "disparaging to Native Americans." Most likely this will start the hot pursuit of forcing Washington's team to change their name.
     When I heard the news, I could not help but feel sad. Sad, because when I hear "Redskins" I think of Washington football. Never do I think of it as a derogatory term towards Native Americans.
     See, my generation grew up never knowing racism, sexism, etc. Women have always had the right to vote. There has always been equality amongst all races. We have never once called Native Americans "Indians," and we lived by the rule of treating others the way you want to be treated. So when I see this case, I feel ashamed. Ashamed that people are trying to make this about race and sex once again. We have learned and moved past those bad times.
     So I ask those who want the name changed, if the term "Redskin" offends you, how come "Cleveland Indians" does not? How come "Chicago Blackhawks" does not? How come "Kansas City Chiefs" does not? How come "Dallas Cowboys" does not? The term cowboy was first used as a derogatory term to call southerns who were poor and had to work on farms. It now is one of the most violent gangs in the south, were these cowboys gang up on the helpless and kill them. Bet you didn't know that one.
     Which brings my argument all-together. Our society has erased so many of these discrimination's that these terms mean nothing anymore. They are simply sports terms. So why do we have to make politics about our sports? My generation loves sports because they hate politics. So why make this about politics! And if we are going to make our sports about politics, lets fix all of it. But we won't.
     I do not believe the Redskins should change their name. Not because I am a traditionalist, ignorant (like how some articles would classify me), or stubborn, but because I want my sports to not be about politics.

No comments:

Post a Comment