Sunday, September 16, 2018

NFL Pick 'em: Week Two

Tyreek Hill

I started off slow in week one, predicting only nine games right. With a surprise tie, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers surprise win and a terrible showing by the Detroit Lions, I can validate myself, right?
I also started off the week 0-1 thanks to a 34-23 smacking by the Cincinnati Bengals on the Baltimore Ravens on Thursday night (yup, had the Ravens winning that one). Not the best start to my season, but I’m still getting warmed up and ready for the long haul. The season is a race not a sprint. I’ll cash out this week.
            Last week’s record: 9-6-1
            Overall record: 9-6-1
Carolina at Atlanta
Atlanta enters this matchup as the better team. Still, I think Cam Newton is the better quarterback. Both teams face multiple injuries and Newton’s ability to move the ball should worry the Falcons. Plus, the Panthers aren’t all that bad on defense.
Pick: Carolina
Los Angeles Chargers at Buffalo
You know, I don’t think the Bills will have as bad of an outing as they had in week one in this matchup. Still, the Chargers have more talent, a better defense and the better quarterback. I picture the Chargers giving the Bills a hard time at the front line.
Pick: Los Angeles Chargers
Minnesota at Green Bay
My pick for this game rests more in an injured Aaron Rodgers than the Vikings’ ability to defeat the Packers on the road. If Rodgers plays hurt in this game, and even more so if he doesn’t play at all, then the team has to rely on its running backs. I can’t picture the Packers defeating the Vikings with their ground game.
Pick: Minnesota
If only this came in purple
Houston at Tennessee
This game might end up as the closest affair when it comes to the scoreboard. Two mobile quarterbacks face-off against one-another. Marcus Mariota seems like he is fading, Deshaun Watson seems poised to perform better than he did last week. I expect Watson do get the job done late in the game because of that.
Pick: Houston
Cleveland at New Orleans
The Browns are better than they were one year ago. Even after getting better and tying the Pittsburgh Steelers in week one (still not a win), I think the Saints will dominate this game. The Saints had a bad week and they should fix that for their matchup on Sunday.
Pick: New Orleans
Miami at New York Jets
I am going to take the Jets in this game, not because of their 48-17 win over the Detroit Lions in week one however. Realistically, these two teams are pretty much the same. If this game featured the Dolphins as the home team, I would have taken them.
Pick: New York Jets
Kansas City at Pittsburgh
I picked the Chiefs in week one because of their ability to win in week one. This matchup could end up a shootout because of the two team’s play styles. I couldn’t decide on this game without going back-and-forth, so I’m picking the Chiefs because they tend to start their season off with some kind of winning streak.
Pick: Kansas City
This man prevails again
Philadelphia at Tampa Bay
Ryan Fitzpatrick threw for 417 yards and four touchdowns in Tampa Bay’s win over the New Orleans Saints in week one. Then again, Fitzpatrick also threw six interceptions against the Kansas City Chiefs back in 2016.
Pick: Philadelphia
Indianapolis at Washington
We witnessed the rebirth of Adrian Peterson last week as he rushed for 96 yards and one touchdown in week one. The Colts were the seventh worst team against the run in 2017. Joe Mixon found a way to run against this defense in week one. To go along with Washington’s new toy at quarterback, the Redskins should take this home game.
Pick: Washington
Arizona at Los Angeles Rams
The Cardinals will play better in week two. Last week was the aberration to their team’s skill. Still, the Cardinals have their struggle while the Rams might end up as the best team in the NFC this season.
Pick: Los Angeles Rams
Detroit at San Francisco
Matt Patricia did not look good in his head coaching debut, losing to the Jets, 48-17. This game comes down to Matthew Stafford vs Jimmy Garoppolo. I think this game will surprise people on how close it ends up, but I like the home team to win.
Pick: San Francisco
Oakland at Denver
Case Keenum looked good in week one, throwing for 329 yards and three touchdowns despite throwing for three interceptions. Expect the Raiders to run the ball, but against Von Miller, I don’t like those odds for the Raiders. Too bad Jon Gruden might start his season off 0-2.
Pick: Denver
New England at Jacksonville
Everybody loves the Jaguars in this game. I understand why, the Patriots don’t do well against running backs like Leonard Fournette. This team, in 2017, held a 20-10 lead during the AFC championship over the Patriots. People want to hate the Patriots in this one, but I expect Bill Belichick to find a way to get it done on Sunday.
Pick: New England
New York Giants at Dallas
I picked the Giants to defeat Jacksonville in week one. I came close, but no cigar. Really wish I got that one. But anyway, I like the Saquan Barkley vs. Ezekiel Elliot narrative. The Giants like to pressure the front line, so Dak Prescott might throw a little more than usual. I’m taking the Cowboys in this one because I think they have a little more confidence. They should find a way in this one.
Pick: Dallas
Seattle at Chicago
The Bears gave Green Bay a scare in week one, plus they also have a solid mix of potentially potent players. They have Khalil Mack now, which has people drooling. Mitch Trubinsky looked decent and they have a couple good running backs. But is this team really going to take down Russell Wilson and company?
Pick: Seattle

No comments:

Post a Comment