Thursday, December 5, 2013

Building a Baseball Team With the Lowest Payroll Possible: And Still Have the Best Team in the League

Today, I have given myself an assignment. I am to create the best baseball team possible under the league’s lowest total payroll. This happens to be the Houston Astros at $22 million. With such a low number, I felt as if this was almost impossible. After great thought, I have created my team.
C- Salvador Perez KC (1 Mil) This guy can hit home runs and for average. He calls a good game and is cheap. A good guy for the middle of the order.
1B- Paul Goldschmidt ARI (500k) For a guy who can hit 30HRs and 100 RBI, this guy is a steal for the money. A good hitter for the lineup.
2B- Jason Kipnis CLE (500k) This guy has good defense and a bat. He’s another player that makes sense for the money.
3B- Manny Machado BAL (500k) This guy is on the rise. And by rise, I mean climbing a hill faster than anybody. Get him while his salary is so low. This guy was a steal.
SS- Jean Segura MIL (500k) Can hit for average and has a little pop in his bat, a great lead off guy for the price.
LF- Michael Brantley CLE (500k) a position with not many guys, I had to crunch to get a guy with reasonable salary and ability. I think I still got a reasonably good player.
CF- Mike Trout LAA (600K) I almost feel bad picking him. A guy who has been in MVP talks and a pure athlete, I couldn’t resist going with him and his salary.
RF- Giancarlo Stanton MIA (600k) a player on a down year, I still like his ability. I guy I want around hands down.
Bench- Mike Carp Bos 1B/OF (500k)
                Derek Norris Oak C (500k)
                Emilio Bonifacio Tor Ult (2.6 Mil)
                Chris Carter Hou OF (500k)
                Ruben Tejada NYM Inf (500K)
I chose role players for my bench. These guys get the job done on offense and defense. I broke the bank a bit on Bonifacio, but the skill and ability to play multiple positions was too much to pass on.
Rotation
Lance Lynn St.l (500k)
Shelby Miller St.l (500k)
Madison Bumgarner SF (1 Mil)
Nate Eovaldi Mia (500k)
Jon Garland Col (500K)
I set it up with a bunch of young guns and a veteran to fill out the staff
Bullpen
CL Ernesto Frieri LAA (500k)
SU Brad Ziegler Ari (3 Mil)
MR Ronny Belisario LAD (1.5 Mil)
MR Tanner Scheppers Tex (500k)
MR Mark Melancon Pit (500k)
MR Rex Brothers Col (500k)
MR Joba Chamberlain NYY (1.8 Mil)
I decided I wanted to spend most of my money on my bullpen. You can’t have enough good arms and I wanted the best for my bullpen.
Hope you enjoy it! And I still had money to spare!

*If you would like to try this out, you can play along here

No comments:

Post a Comment