Monday, July 14, 2014

Monday's Red Sox Rant: Pierzynski, Pedroia, and Uehara

     What a difference a week makes. At this time last week, I said the Red Sox were out. Now after an A.J. Pierzynski DFA and three wins in four days, I somehow believe the Red Sox are back in it. I even have a pending bet that the Red Sox will only be four games out of the wild card at the trade deadline. This youth movement feels like a completely new team.

     Regardless, I don’t believe the Red Sox should be buyers. They should still trade Jake Peavy and maybe John Lackey, but they should not break the bank for someone like Andre Ethier or Giancarlo Stanton. The rookies are what makes this team watchable, fun, and win. Don’t ruin this. However, Whatever the Red Sox do, do not trade Koji Uehara! I know I was all in favor of trading him, but this now goes beyond the point of getting value for him. If the Sox trade Uehara, it signals to fans that this season is over, a wash, it doesn’t mean anything. In fact, they should resign Uehara next year as well. Having a dominant closer indicates that the team will compete. If they throw anybody in there, it indicates that the Sox are not trying to compete. Trading Uehara is now very risky, a risk the Sox should not take.

     For my next point, I want to address the acquisitions the Red Sox made this offseason. Thinking about the unofficial halfway point of the season, I now consider their offseason a failure. Look at who they got: Pierzynski, Burke Badenhop, Edward Mujica, Jonathan Herrera, and Grady Sizemore. Pierzynski and Sizemore are gone. Herrera played so bad that he was demoted. Mujica is so unstable he can only come in during mop up situations. The only successful acquisition was Badenhop, a staple in the bullpen. Cherington’s offseason deserves a big, fat F.


     Also, good luck to those participating in tonight’s home run derby. My prediction is Yeonis Cespedes over against Troy Tulowitzki. Too bad Pedroia is not an all-star. He has the perfect swing for the event. If he ever participated in the event, hands-down I would pick him to win. Just look at this swing:

No comments:

Post a Comment