Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Sherman's Talk Makes Me Lose Respect for Him

Richard Sherman has always gathered attention throughout his career. From his controversial words to his appearances on ESPN, to his appearance on the cover of Sports Illustrated, Sherman has been big in the media. However, this past week he has gained more attention than ever due to his post-game blow up following the NFC Championship game. During sideline reporter Erin Andrews’ interview with Sherman, he began yelling about wide receiver Michael Crabtree, saying “I'm the best corner in the game, when you try me with a sorry receiver like Crabtree, that's the result you're gonna get. Don't you ever talk about me." He followed this statement up by saying “Don't you open your mouth about the best, or I'm gonna shut it for you real quick,” (quotes thanks to espn.go.com). Commissioner Rodger Goodell would later fine Sherman $7,875 for his comments while he also spoke out personally on the matter, standing against Sherman’s comments.
            Sherman would continue the latest buzz with his retaliation of getting caught up in the moment and how he was only showing passion for the game. Here, I would like to speak to Sherman personally. I have no tolerance for players like him. Sherman has made comments like this many times, both on and off the football field. He has made personal comments towards people, denouncing them and their abilities, while trash-talking himself into infamy.
            During an interview between Sherman and ESPN analyst Skip Bayless, Sherman is quoted (to Bayless) “You will never accomplish anything… I don’t think you’re the best in anything. In sports, in media, in anything. In my 24 years of life, I’m better at life than you… I am going to crush you on here in front of everybody because I’m tired of hearing about (my skills),” (the entire interview can be found by a simple youtube.com search). It was at this time I started to lose respect for Richard Sherman. He was not on a football field, pumped with adrenaline from the game. Sherman, sitting in studio, was simply being his egotistic self.
            I personally believe that there should be no tolerance for talk like this in the NFL. Regardless of who someone’s stature, nobody can talk like this to others while millions are viewing. During his interview, Sherman mainly argues that his performance and statistics back up his words, which ultimately give him the right to speak how he did. It is true that Sherman has more interceptions in his first three years than any other player has ever had and he can cover any receiver better than I have seen in the NFL this year, but the best abide by the same rules as everybody else. A point of comparison; If a student receives an A on a test, do they earn the right to belittle all the other students? What about in the workplace? Sherman certainly thinks so.

            Richard Sherman is a great athlete and NFL cornerback. His abilities have the capability to speak for themselves, but Sherman keeps ruining the chance with his attitude and words. This shouldn’t be able to go on for as long as Sherman is in the league. Commissioner Goodell must do something more than a fine and a speech. I like Sherman’s skills, but his words are a little too much for me. My favorite athletes all have class, unlike Sherman.

No comments:

Post a Comment